Friday, August 13, 2004

Could you be the Pygmalion of wine tasting?

I admit; I am also a movie fan. And here is an article that mentions My Fair Lady (Pygmalion) in relation to teaching someone to understand wines. Someone who finds the idea of a spit cup disgusting!!

It is entertaining and educational. I was amused by Peter's descriptions:

The 2001 CE2V Napa Cabernet from Cosentino, however, fulfilled his worst expectations. "It was attacking me before I could figure out its attack," he complained. "It reminded me of a Vin Diesel movie." Then he added that its aroma was "like someone put out a cigar in the bottle."


I have taken part in the Sensory Panel that is still going on in our department and I can tell from experience that it is very challenging to come up with the right words to describe the wines. During a wine tasting trip to Napa, I was told, "We don't call that 'dusty.' We prefer 'earthy.'" Hey, you know what, it is not the same thing to me!