Wednesday, September 29, 2004

You, too, could easily become a millionaire winemaker. Not!

Anyone, who is interested in making his/her own wine and hoping to make money at it, needs to read "Don't give up the day job" (theage.com.au) to find out how much work and money goes into building up a successful personal winery.

"It will be eight years before it makes a profit (which could be next year), with serious costs each year - over $100,000 every year," he says matter-of-factly.

"That just means more working hours and that’s been quite a pressure, working longer hours to make it happen."

So, why do it? Here's a response:

"I love the natural ebb and flow of the seasons," he says. "I love the almost restful, artisanal quality of winemaking at the rather small level that I undertake it. This enables me to do it with a degree of Zen, if I can put it that way. And I value that."